Derek Jeter. 18 years a business partner. 18 years a friend. I can’t say enough about what Derek Jeter has meant both to baseball and to me. His popularity magnified this season, every baseball fan has been privy to re-living his many career accomplishments. But even further, what I’ve taken away from my relationship with him goes far beyond baseball.
Here is a list of all the things Derek Jeter has taught me:
- Have respect for your parents/family and learn from them.
- Respect your bosses
- Respect the type of business you are in and make your industry better than it was before you got there
- Respect your associates even when they are on the other team.
- Respect others even if it’s not convenient.
- Hate to lose.
- Love to win.
- Don't make believe it’s okay to lose.
- Stay humble and stay grounded no matter how many people are saying nice things and no matter how much money you have.
- Give back and make helping others that need help a priority.
- Give 100 percent all the time. Be all-in every day. Make every game the seventh game of the World Series.
- Don't treat everyone the same. Treat everyone fairly.
- Don't focus on yourself. Focus on others.