I think sometimes we underestimate the total impact that mothers have. You see a lot said about moms when you go to a funeral. There’s always a lot of talk about how selfless they were and how much they gave up for their children. And I could say that you see similar things on greeting cards.
But, being selfless and sacrificing isn’t really the core of what most mothers do. I think we need to adjust our blinders a bit here.
There’s a ton of mothers that have really kicked some ass—they went out and made it big in business, they’re politicians, they’re broadcasters, they’re professional sports coaches (like my friend Nancy Lieberman, a proud mom breaking ground as an NBA assistant)…the old school way of thinking is that mothers are just there for their children, but that is not the case anymore.
I think about my mother—she wasn’t there everyday when I got home giving me milk and cookies. She was working! She was owning a business, she was getting after it. And I think there’s a lot of mothers that are blazing trails across all areas today it’s important that we talk about that.
Here are some of the things my mother taught me:
- How to make money
- You don’t have to agree with everyone to be right
- Your friends will determine your future
- Help others without asking for anything in return
- Don’t be afraid to kick someone’s ass if need be
- Ask nicely and say “Please” and “Thank You”
- Be fearless.
- Go after your dreams and don’t be afraid to fail.
- Be spontaneous even if its 2:00am.
- How to play poker and black jack and not to be afraid to hit on 15
- How to fight back, but also how to fight forward.
I would like to see more cards with this stuff on there.